Sunday 27 May 2012

Whispers don't shatter the Sunshine


My week started out as well as to be expected after Convention last weekend. I was tired but chose to ignore the growing fatigue of my muscles and mind. I know that I always crash after Convention because it is so spiritually, emotionally, and physically draining, in a good way of course, but I figured that it wouldn’t happen to me and I could just carry on with life. On Wednesday I started to feel my throat become raw and my thoughts became clouded and my posture was dizzy. But I figured a hot totty before bed would cure that. When I woke up the next morning I was rudely faced with how wrong I was. I barely had enough energy to get out of bed and make my way down stairs. I fought to stay healthy and go to work but my body suggested I stay in bed. I opened my mouth to talk myself out of surrendering to illness but nothing came out. I had no voice! I felt like Ariel from the Little Mermaid, stripped of her most valuable possession and her soul! I gave in, crawled back up to bed and went to sleep.

The rest of the day was pretty foggy. I remember waking up for a few hours, enough time to have some breakfast and build a nest around my bed of books to read, movies to watch, and crocheting to catch up on. My wonderful roommate Sandra ran to the drugstore and grabbed me some Halls cough drops and a cocktail of vitamins like ginseng, vitamin C, and Echinacea. I spent the day watching movies and slipping in and out sleep and eating my body weight in Halls. By the evening I regained some of my energy, wasn’t dizzy when I stood, and had my appetite back for solid food. And the following day I was back to work, chipper and sing song as usual. I was excited to be back at work. I felt terrible leaving my coworkers to pick up my slack while I was home sick even though I know they would rather I stay home and get better than coming to work getting the rest of them sick.

The weekend opened up the doors to the start of the season. The 2012 Prince Edward Island tourist season has begun. The boats are back in the harbour, the quaint little shops are open and filled with Island nick nacks and goodies, buskers dot the Charlottetown street corners stringing music through the air like white Christmas lights. Restaurants have opened the patio seating and the sun beams down ever warmly on the red soil and lush greenery. The tulips and crocuses of spring have wilted away and the rich warm aroma of lilacs all purple and divine over power the fragrance of the ocean. A gentle breeze constantly weaves through the Island and whispers over the ocean ever so slightly to bathe it a constant diamond like sparkler. With the days so warm and the ocean growing more and more inviting and the smell of smoky burgers, French fries, and waffle corners hugging the street corners as well as your hips it seems appropriate to whisper the word, “Summer.” No doubt saying such a fragile word aloud would shatter the anticipation of the season and send us back into winter.

On Sunday I spent the afternoon with my dear friend Lindsay. We adorned ourselves in flip flops, capris, bright shirts and sun glasses and strolled the streets of Charlottetown, stopping for ice cream at Cows Ice Cream. It is my goal to try every flavour of Cows Ice Cream this summer. This week I started with Chocolatey Mint Chip. It was delicious, cool and refreshing yet the texture was filling and satisfying a combination of velvety ice cream and the bitter sweet crunch of chocolate chips. With ice creams in hand we meandered to the harbour. We rested upon the rocks and spent a solid hour pointing out jelly fish as they languidly and gracefully floated to the surface and then back down into the safety of the deep. We followed the jelly fish and nimbly and carefully maneuvered over the rocks in pursuit, trying to get closer and playfully and curiously poking them with a stick. We bent and curved along the edge of the harbour, chatting about this and that and the next thing as friends often do. After we parted ways near my apartment I sluggishly climbed the stairs and collapsed on the couch for a nap. I had forgotten how sleepy and satisfied the sun makes you.

Yes indeed, the welcome mat is out, the door is open, and there’s a beach chair with your name on it. Come for a visit and stay forever. The Island is waiting. 





A storm over the east side of the Island

Electric and jagged sunset, super cool

The sunshine beauty Lindsay!

Lindsay poking a jelly fish

Me poking a jelly fish

Jelly fished poked

Jelly fish!

Me starring off into the blue. 

Me acting silly

Cherry blossoms I think. 


Me smelling the cherry blossoms

No comments:

Post a Comment